Time on High: 30 minutes Time on Low: 8 hours Chicken Adobo is a traditional Filipino dish, enjoyed by many cultures for it's mild, yet tangy flavor. While the recipe has very few ingredients & is very simple to prepare, the end result is a comforting dish that is enjoyable for all palates and diets.
3 Pounds bone-in chicken thighs
Peeled garlic cloves from the head of one garlic bulb
1 Large (or 2 small) sliced sweet or yellow onion
3 1/2 Ounce low sodium soy sauce
4 Ounces apple cider vinegar
1 Inch knob of fresh ginger, cut into thick slices
6 Bay leaves (or less)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon of heart healthy cooking oil
1) Heat a heavy frying pan on medium high with a Tablespoon of oil
2) Season both sides of the chicken thighs with garlic powder, ground black pepper, and paprika (optional)
3) Brown both sides of each chicken thigh until the skin is golden and much of the fat is rendered out. Set browned chicken aside and dispose of the drippings.
4) In the Crock-Pot®, drizzle 1 Teaspoon of oil to the bottom of the Crock-Pot® vessel. Line the bottom of the Crock-Pot® with the sliced onions.
5) Place the browned chicken thighs on top of the sliced onions. Layer the garlic cloves, ginger slices, and bay leaves on top of the chicken.
6) Pour the soy sauce and vinegar over the chicken and add a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
7) Set the Crock-Pot®on 30 minutes on High, then to 8 Hours Low.
*Chicken Adobo can be served with steamed vegetables and a side of rice. For those managing their weight, this is wonderful served on brown rice or even on top of steamed or sauteed green leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach, or chard.