Cinnamon Roll and Sweet 'Tater Gratin
Time on High: 4 Being close to East Texas and Louisiana, we have plenty of access to sweet potatoes year-round. This gratin showcases one of my favorite veggies with rich layers of savory sweet potato and cream, topped with a sweet cinnamon roll layer. The recipe uses prepared cinnamon roll dough, so the dish comes together quickly. Just slow cook for four hours, and you'll be rewarded with a decadent side dish that's good enough for company.
3 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
3/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 Cup of heavy cream
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne
4 Tablespoon butter
1 Package prepared cinnamon roll dough (12.4 oz can)
1. Spray inside of Crock-Pot® slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Arrange 1/3 of the sweet potatoes on bottom of Crock-Pot® slow cooker, overlapping slightly. Top with 1/4 Cup of Parmesan.
3. Repeat sweet potato/Parmesan layer 2 more times.
4. In a bowl, combine cream, salt, pepper and cayenne. Pour mixture over potatoes.
5. Dot with 2 Tablspoons of butter.
6. Open package of cinnamon roll dough and set packaged icing aside.
7. Remove a cinnamon roll from the can and unroll into long strip. With the flat side down, starting in center of the potatoes, wind the cinnamon roll into a circle. Make sure the edges meet so no potato shows through. Repeat with remaining dough, starting each strip where the last one ended. It should look like a bulls eye. Dot the top of the dough with the remaining 2 Tablespoon of butter.
8. Place lid on Crock-Pot® slow cooker, cook on high for 4 hrs.
9. Turn Crock-Pot® slow cooker off and drizzle gratin with packaged icing.
10. Let sit, uncovered, for 15 minutes before serving.