Fajita Stuffed Picante Chicken
Time on High: 2 to 3 hours Time on Low: 4 hours I incorporated all of the flavors of your standard Mexican Fajita and turned it into a one pot wonder! The chicken is stuffed with diced onions, green peppers, jalapeno and queso fresco. Braised in chicken broth and a white wine reduction. On top of the chicken a chutney made up of granny smith apples, pickled jalapenos, onions and green peppers that bring all of the flavors together.
4 Individual skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 Cups of queso fresco cheese
1 Medium diced onion
1 Granny smith apple
1 Green pepper
1 Cup of chicken broth
1 Cup of white wine
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Cilantro for garnish
1. Pound chicken breasts until flat.
2. Dice onions, apples, jalapeno and green pepper. Leave 1 Cup of vegetables aside.
3. Mix 1 Cup of vegetables with queso fresco cheese in bowl.
4. Place cheese filling mixture onto the top of each chicken breast and start to roll until the ends meet. Secure both ends with toothpick. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour 3 Tablespoons of olive oil onto a hot saute pan and place the rolled chicken breasts inside the pan.
6. Caramelize chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side and transfer to slow cooker.
7. De glaze saute pan with white wine and chicken broth for 3 minutes until liquid has thickened.
8. Place remainder of vegetables in Crock-Pot® slow cooker along with the braised liquid until the chicken is covered.
9. Cook on high for 60 minutes followed by 4 hours on low.
10. Take out the cooked chicken breasts and place on a covered plate.
11. Cook the remaining vegetable chutney on high for 20 minutes.