Smoky Java Beef Sandwiches
Time on High: 1 to 2 Hour Time on Low: 4 to 5 Hours This rustic Crock-Pot® beef recipe can be used not only to make a variety of delicious sandwiches, it is also great used in quesadillas, soft tacos, and even on pizza! The two smoke ingredients pair very well with the spicy coffee flavor and add a new depth of flavor to the rich and hearty beef. If you want a bit of heat, add ¼ Teaspoon of cayenne.
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (4 Pounds) beef rump roast, cut into four slices
2 Teaspoons browning & seasoning sauce
1 Teaspoon smoked sea salt
½ Teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Medium onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 Cups strong black coffee
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 Teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 Teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons cold water
12 Sandwich buns, split and lightly toasted
1/3 Cup mayonnaise
1 (16 Ounces) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
48 Bread & butter pickle slices
1. Brush inside of a 5 quart Crock-Pot® slow cooker with oil.
2. Brush both sides of roast slices lightly with browning sauce then sprinkle with sea salt, seasoned salt, and pepper. Place in Crock-Pot®.
3. Cook on high for 1 hour, turning slices over after 30 minutes and adding onion slices on roast slices after turning over.
4. Stir coffee, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke together in a medium bowl. Pour over onions. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours more until roast is tender.
5. Remove roast and onions to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred roast.
8. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water together until smooth. Stir into liquid in Crock-Pot®. Cook for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
9. Stir shredded roast into Crock-Pot®.
10. Spread buns with mayonnaise. Divide roast onto bun bottoms. Top each with a 2 ½ inch square piece of bell pepper and four pickle slices. Add bun tops.Garnish as desired. Serve immediately. Serves 10 to 12.