Tre Salse (Three Sauce) Chicken Penne
Time on High: 3 Hours Time on Low: 4 Hours Sometimes it's hard to decide between a delicious Marinara, a rich & creamy Alfredo, or a garlicky Pesto sauce for your pasta. No need to decide when you make this recipe that combines all three for the perfectly flavored sauce with penne and chicken.
2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
24 Ounces marinara sauce
10 Ounces alfredo sauce (I prefer the refrigerated sauce over the jarred)
6 Tablespoons pesto sauce (or more, to your liking)
8 Ounces penne, uncooked (1/2 of a standard 16 Ounce box)
1 Teaspoon crushed garlic
1 Red pepper, chopped
1 to 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
4 to 5 medium sized portobello mushrooms, cut in wedges (optional)
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Coat a 4 to 5 quart Crock-Pot® slow cooker with non-stick spray or use a slow cooker liner
2. Place chicken breasts in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker
3. Scatter chopped red pepper over the chicken.
4. In a separate bowl, combine marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, 3 Tablespoons of the pesto, and the Italian Seasoning.
5. Pour sauce mixture over chicken.
6. Season with salt & pepper.
7. Cover & Cook on LOW for 2 hours.
8. Remove lid and add garlic, chopped mushrooms if using and uncooked pasta into sauce. Stir to combine.
9. Cover & Cook an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until noodles are cooked through but not overdone.
10. Remove chicken and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces; stir back into pasta.
11. If desired, stir in the remaining pesto for additional flavor after cooking.