Cherry Sloppy Joes
Time on High: 2 to 4 hours Time on Low: 4 to 6 hours I recently visited Traverse City, MI which people call the Cherry Capital of the World. I had just about everything imaginable made from cherries: jams, salsa, pie and even a cherry hamburger! When I returned home I was inspired and created these delicious Cherry Sloppy Joe's. I figured since everything is great with cherries, why not put them in Sloppy Joe's?!
1 Pound lean ground beef
½ Red onion, chopped
10 3/4 Ounce can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Cup ketchup
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 Cup pitted cherries, chopped (I used frozen pitted cherries)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Up to 1/4 Cup brown sugar. My cherries were sweet so I didn't use any but if your cherries are tart, add sugar as desired.
1. Partially brown ground beef, adding salt and pepper to taste. Drain fat.
2. Place meat in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
3. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
5. Cover; cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 4 hours.
6. Remove lid and stir. Add seasonings as desired.
7. Serve on hamburger buns. I even like this over rice!
Note: There is an even easier option for this recipe – If you use a very lean beef (95%+ lean) you can skip the browning step and place all ingredients in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker at once. Just use a large spoon to break up the meat. Cover; cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Stir well and ensure the meat is fully cooker before serving.