Time on Low: 4 to 5 hours I love apples and this is the perfect time of the year for tasty apple pie! Years ago, my mother-in-law Marsha shared her famous apple pie recipe with me. While Marsha's apple pie is delicious, I knew there had to be a way that I could slow cook it and not heat up my entire house (I'm not big on using the oven!).
Prepared pie dough
4 to 5 large apples
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Stick Butter (unsalted)
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Flour
1. Wash & peel the apples. Slice into thin pieces and place in a medium bowl.
2. Toss apples with the “filling” ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon, cream)
3. Lightly grease insert of a 3 1/2 Quart Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
4. Place prepared pie crust inside Crock-Pot® slow cooker and gently push into place. The crust should go up 2 to 3 inches on the side of the Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
5. Place “topping” ingredients (butter, flour, sugar) in a bowl and knead with your (clean) hands until crumbly.
6. Crumble the topping over the apple pie.
7. Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours or until cooked through. Note: after the 1st hour of cooking, slightly vent lid to allow steam to escape and to help prevent condensation on top of pie.
8. For a pretty presentation, place Crock-Pot® slow cooker insert in a large toaster oven or oven under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the pie topping.
9. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
*If you'd like more servings, you can double the recipe and use a Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock™.