Black Bean Chipotle Soup
Black Bean Chipotle Soup Recipe from Crock-Pot® Hearty Soups, Stews & Chilies cookbook (item # 2269800) Makes 4 to 6 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: low 7 to 8 hours or on high 4-½ to 5 hours
• 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and sorted
• 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 cup crushed tomatoes
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
• 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chiles, drained
• 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• Salt and black pepper
• Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and/or chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place beans in large bowl; cover completely with water. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight.* Drain beans; discard water. *To quick soak beans, place beans in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour.
2. Place beans in Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add broth, onion, tomatoes, celery, carrots, chiles, chipotle peppers and cumin; stir to blend.
3. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH 4-½ to 5 hours. Season with salt and black pepper. Place mixture in batches in food processor or blender; process to desired consistency. Top as desired.
Variation: For an even heartier soup, add 1 cup diced browned spicy sausage, such as linguiça or chourico.