New England Clam Chowder
New England Clam Chowder Recipe from Crock-Pot® Hearty Soups, Stews & Chilies cookbook (item # 2269800) Makes 6 to 8 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: low 5 to 8 hours, high 1 to 3 hours
• 6 slices bacon, diced
• 2 onions, chopped
• 5 cans (6-½ ounces each) clams, drained and liquid reserved
• 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
• Snipped fresh chives (optional)
1. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and onion; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove to Crock-Pot® slow cooker using slotted spoon.
2. Add enough water to reserved clam liquid to make 3 cups; pour into
Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add potatoes, garlic and pepper. Cover; cook on LOW 5 to 8 hours or HIGH 1 to 3 hours.
3. Stir in clams and evaporated milk. Cover; cook on LOW 30 to 45 minutes. Garnish with chives.
Tip: Shellfish and mollusks are delicate and should be added to the
Crock-Pot® slow cooker during the last 15 to 30 minutes of the cooking time if you're cooking on HIGH, and during the last 30 to 45 minutes if you're cooking on LOW. This type of seafood overcooks easily, becoming tough and rubbery. So watch your cooking times and cook only long enough for foods to be done.