Apple Cider Braised Pork
As this mouth-watering recipe calls for browning the pork first, the Crock-Pot® 5-in-1 Multi-Cooker is perfect for making apple cider braised pork. With five cook functions - slow cook, brown & sauté, bake, roast and steam, it's versatile for this recipe, plus much more! For a complete entree, serve this braised pork over a bed of sweet and creamy mashed sweet potatoes.
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 boneless pork shoulder (4 pounds), trimmed of fat
• 2 teaspoons coarse salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/2 cups apple cider (use homemade recipe below, if desired)
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 cup water
• Sweet potatoes, mashed
• Additional freshly ground pepper, if desired
1. Select the Brown/Sauté function of your Multi-Cooker and set to medium.
2. Allow Multi-Cooker to preheat.
3. Sprinkle salt and pepper over pork and add to Multi-Cooker, with oil.
4. Cook for 10 minutes, frequently turning pork shoulder until browned on all sides.
5. Press Start/Stop to change function to Slow Cook.
6. In a small bowl, combine honey and apple cider. Pour over pork.
7. Add onion.
8. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
9. Remove pork and let stand for 5 minutes on cutting board.
10. With two forks, shred pork into chunks.
11. Skim fat from cooking liquid in Multi-Cooker.
12. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Stir into cooking liquid.
13. Turn Slow Cook setting to high.
14. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened.
15. Serve apple braised pork over mashed sweet potatoes and cover with gravy.
Due to the slow ramp up, and even heating of a slow cooker, recipes featured on this site can be cooked in a range of slow cooker sizes. Recipes can be increased or decreased by one quart size per the cooking instructions. For smaller sauces and dips that calls for 3 quarts or less, it is not recommended to alter the unit size. Crock-Pot® is a registered trademark and should not be used generically when referring to a 'slow cooker' within the recipes.
Sunbeam Products, Inc. d/b/a Jarden Consumer Solutions has not tested these recipes and is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe. You may not achieve the results desired due to variations in ingredients, cooking temperatures, cooking times, typos, errors, omissions, or individual cooking abilities. Please always use your best judgment when cooking with raw ingredients such as eggs, chicken or fish.