Black Bean and Mushroom Chili
Filled with hearty vegetables, this smoky and spiced chili is a healthy and filling meal. The sweetness of tomatoes and the robust flavor of chipotle peppers, along with black beans and mushrooms blend for a full-bodied chili that will satisfy everyone.
2 1/2 cups black beans
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup mustard seeds
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, or ground cardamom
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
5 1/2 cups mushroom broth, or vegetable broth
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 to 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 limes, cut into wedges
1. Drain liquid from black beans.
2. Select the Brown/Sauté function and set to medium.
3. Combine olive oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in your Multi-Cooker.
4. Stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 seconds.
5. Add onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and water.
6. Cover and cook, until the vegetables are juicy, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Remove cover and stir until juices evaporate and vegetable are browned.
8. Then add broth, tomato paste and chipotle peppers.
9. Select Start/Stop to switch to Slow Cooker function.
10. Add beans, cover and cook on high for 5 to 8 hours.
11. Serve in bowls garnished with cheese, sour cream, cilantro and lime juice.