Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bowl
If you're looking to kick things up a notch, try out this smoky barbecue infused quinoa bowl with the added protein of chicken.
• 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
• 1 cup corn, frozen
• 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
• 1/2 cup onion, diced
• 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
• 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
• 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
• 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 1 cup barbecue sauce and extra for topping
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
• 1 cup and 2 tablespoons chicken broth
• 1/2 pound chicken breast
• Cilantro, for garnish
• Green onion, for garnish
• Cheddar cheese, grated, for garnish
1. Add quinoa to the bottom of your slow cooker.
2. Top with corn, peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, 1 cup barbecue sauce, salt, liquid smoke and chicken broth.
3. Nestle chicken breasts between all ingredients in the middle.
4. Ensure that liquid covers them.
5. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, until broth is absorbed and chicken is cooked through.
6. Remove the chicken breasts and shred, using two forks.
7. Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and mix well.
8. Serve in bowls and garnish with remaining barbecue sauce, cilantro, green onions and cheddar cheese.