Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork
Time on Low: 8 to 10 Hours Classic BBQ style pulled pork! Everyone will enjoy this awesome pulled pork. Great for summer days enjoying pulled pork sandwiches at a family picnic!
1 (6 to 8 pound) Pork Shoulder
1 (12 Ounce) can of Root beer
1 onion soup mix
1 bottle sweet BBQ sauce
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Mix together the root beer and sauce in a bowl. I use a sweeter BBQ sauce because it goes well with the root beer. Don't use Diet Root Beer, you need the sugar in it for the pork.
2. Trim the larger chunks of fat as well as the skin off of the pork shoulder. You'll want to leave some of the fat on so that the pork is not too dry.
3. Rub the onion soup mix on the pork and put it in the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker.
4. Carefully pour the sauce mixture into the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker, making sure not to remove the rub from the pork.
5. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours (or really up to 12 if you want).
6. Remove the pork from the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker, using 2 forks shred the meat. Pick off chunks of fat as you find them and dispose of them.
7. Pour out all but 1 cup of the juice in the slow cooker. Mix that remaining cup with the rest of the barbecue sauce and return pork to the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker.
8. Mix pulled pork and sauce together to coat. Cook on high for 20 minutes.
9. Serve on rolls or on its own