'CROCK' AU VIN
Time on High: 2 to 3 Hours Time on Low: 4 to 6 Hours It's Coq Au Vin without the fuss! All of the ingredients go into a Crock-Pot® and out comes an elegant dish.
4 Ounces bacon, diced
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Chicken, cut into serving pieces and skin removed (2 1/2 to 3 Pounds)
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
3 Cups dry red wine
2 Cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 Teaspoon dry
1 Bay leaf
8 Ounces cremini mushrooms, cut in half
8 Ounces red pearl onions, peeled (can substitute red onion, cut into wedges or white pearl onions or frozen pearl onions)
Italian parsley for garnish
1. Brown the bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the butter to the skillet, raise the temperature to high, and brown the chicken skin-side-down, about 3 to 5 minutes. Once browned, place the chicken in a six-quart, Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
3. Add the garlic and tomato paste to the skillet and cook , stirring, for one minute longer.
4. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper, and cook for one minute.
5. Whisk in the red wine, chicken stock, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Pour the red wine mixture over the chicken. Add the mushrooms and onions and set the Crock-Pot® on high.
7. Cook for two hours on high or four hours on low.
8. Garnish with parsley sprigs and reserved bacon bits.