Cheesy Enchilada Stack
Time on High: 2 to 3 Hours Time on Low: 3 to 4 Hours I love going out for Mexican food and I almost always order Cheese Enchiladas so I decided to make this dish in my Crock-Pot® slow cooker. It’s inexpensive and easy to make at home. I added black beans for texture and to make it a little more filling. I serve these Cheesy Enchilada Stacks topped with a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped tomatoes. You may even enjoy them with black olives.
10 Small corn tortillas
2 Cups of Grated Cheese (such as cheddar or mexi-blend)
1 ½ Cups of enchilada sauce
½ Cup of salsa
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
2/3 Cup chopped green onions
15 Ounce can of black beans, rinsed & drained
Optional ingredients for serving:
Sliced black olives
1. Grease a 3½ to 4 Quart Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker with non-stick spray.
2. Mix enchilada sauce, salsa, and ground cumin in a medium sized bowl.
3. Dip two tortillas in the sauce and place in the Crock-Pot® slow cooker (they will overlap)
4. Layer ingredients in this order: 1 to 2 Tablespoons of chopped green onions, ¼ Cup sauce, 1/3 Cup black beans, 1/3 Cup cheese.
5. Create 3 more layers in the same order for a total of 4 layers.
6. For the 5th layer, only use dipped tortillas, green onion, sauce, and beans (NO CHEESE)
7. Cover and Crock on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or until sauce is bubbling on the sides.
8. Remove, cover, and sprinkle with remaining cheese
9. Cover and cook on LOW just until cheese is melted.
10. Turn off Crock-Pot® slow cooker and if you have a removable insert, take it out of the Crock-Pot® slow cooker, and place on a heatproof surface.
11. Remove lid and let sit, uncovered for about 15 minutes to firm up before serving.
Note: If desired, add cooked shredded chicken or ground beef with more sauce to the layers.