Honey Sesame Chicken
2 Pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1/3 Cup red onions, minced
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 Tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
1/4 Cup honey
1/2 Teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, divided
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 Cup water
1 1/2 Teaspoons arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch (optional for thickening sauce)
Brown rice for serving
1 Green onion, (green part only) sliced thin for garnish
In a medium sauce pan, sauté the garlic and onions in the sesame oil until the onions become translucent.
2. Stir in the tamari or coconut aminos, honey, ginger, red pepper flakes, 1 Tablespoon of the sesame seeds, tomato paste, and water until well combined.
3. Allow the sauce to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. If you wish to have a thicker sauce, whisk in the arrowroot powder or cornstarch here as well.
4. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock and pour the sauce over the chicken.
5. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours. The chicken should shred easily when done.
6. Serve over brown rice and sprinkle remaining sesame seeds over the top for garnish and extra flavor.