Slow Cooked Mango Jerk Chicken
The sweet and tangy flavors of the mangoes paired with a spicy jerk seasoning is enough to awaken all my senses and transport me back to the Tropics. And putting it together in my Crock-Pot® slow cooker is perfectly aligned with my busy lifestyle.
Jamaican Jerk seasoning:
1 tbsp garlic powder
½ tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsps thyme
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp allspice
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp dried chili pepper flakes
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Store in glass jar for future use
To make Mango Jerk Chicken:
1 cup red onion, diced
1 red bell peppers, cut into strips
1 mango, cut into small chunks
Handful of cilantro pieces
4 chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
3 tbsps chicken broth
2 tsps Jamaican jerk seasoning
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
1. In the Crock-Pot® slow cooker pot, add chicken breast and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with 2 tsps of Jamaican jerk seasoning all over chicken.
2. Pour 3 tbsps of chicken broth over the chicken, then add red onions, red bell peppers, mango chunks, and torn cilantro sprigs directly on top.
3. Set Crock-Pot® slow cooker on low setting for 5 hours.
4. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl to make a slurry.
5. Pour slurry into the Crock-Pot® slow cooker and cover for an additional 30 minutes on high setting until sauce thickens.
6. Serve warm with white rice and steamed vegetables.