Crock-Pot® French Onion Soup
A cafe-favorite on a chilly evening or rainy afternoon, French onion soup is a comfort food classic enjoyed by young and old alike. No matter what season it is, this is one of those heart-warming, homemade meals that can bring the entire family together. And now, no matter how busy or time-crunched you may be, there's a simple way to create this deliciously flavorful soup: All you need is your slow cooker.
• 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 cup of beer
• 8 cups low-sodium beef stock
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• French baguette
• Gruyere cheese, sliced
• Add sweet onions, garlic, butter, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to the bottom of your slow cooker.
• Mix until combined.
• Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally - until onions are a bit brown and caramelized.
• Add flour and mix well, until combined.
• Let sit for 5 minutes.
• Add beer, beef stock, pepper and salt.
• Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
• Meanwhile, cut French baguette into slices.
• When soup is finished, fill bowls to the top and top with a slice of bread and slice of cheese.
• Set bowls under boiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly.
• Be careful when serving: Bowls and soup will be very hot.